Being in a relationship with a video game enthusiast has its pros and cons. On one hand, you’ll always have someone to play games with. But on the other hand, you might find yourself getting frustrated with how much time your partner spends gaming.
If you’re not sure if your partner is a true gamer, here are 10 signs that may help you determine if they are:
- They’re always talking about games – If your partner can’t stop talking about the latest game they’re playing or how good they are at a certain game, then it’s safe to say they’re a gamer. The same goes for if they’re always trying to get you to play games with them.
- They have a gaming console or PC – This one is pretty obvious. If your partner has a Playstation, Xbox, Nintendo Switch, or gaming PC, then they’re probably a gamer. When you combine this with point number one, it’s pretty much a given. However, some people do own gaming consoles or PCs but don’t actually play games that often, so this isn’t a 100% indicator.
- They have a lot of video games – Another obvious sign, but if your partner has a large collection of video games, it’s likely they enjoy playing them. This is especially true if they’re always buying the latest games that come out. When it comes to video games, quantity does equate to quality for most gamers.
- They’re always playing games – This is probably the most obvious sign of all. If your partner is always playing video games, it’s pretty clear they’re a gamer. They might even forego social events or other activities to play games. When this happens, it can be frustrating for non-gaming partners.
- They’re always talking about game news – If your partner is up-to-date on all the latest gaming news and can’t wait to share it with you, they’re definitely a gamer. Aside from talking about games, they might also read gaming magazines or websites on a regular basis.
- They have game-related items – Another sign that your partner is a gamer is if they have game-related items, such as t-shirts, posters, action figures, etc. This shows that they’re not only interested in playing games, but also in the gaming culture.
- They know a lot about games – Gamers usually have a lot of knowledge about the games they play. So, if your partner can tell you everything there is to know about a certain game, it’s a good indication they’re a gamer.
- They know how to build/modify gaming PCs – This one is for the more hardcore gamers out there. If your partner knows how to build or modify gaming PCs, it’s a pretty clear sign they love playing video games. This skill takes a lot of time and effort to learn, so it’s not something casual gamers would know how to do.
- They have a gaming-related job – This one is pretty self-explanatory. If your partner works in the video game industry or has a gaming-related job, such as being a professional e-sports player, then they’re definitely a gamer. Just like with point number eight, this is something that only the most dedicated gamers would pursue.
- They’re always talking about gaming conventions – The last sign that your partner is a gamer is if they’re always talking about gaming conventions, such as E3 or PAX. If they attend these conventions regularly, it means they’re really into the gaming community and culture.
If your partner exhibits any of these signs, then there’s a good chance they’re a gamer. While being in a relationship with a gamer has its ups and downs, it can be a fun and rewarding experience. Just be prepared for some late-night gaming sessions!
What other signs would you add to this list? Let us know in the comments below!